Middlebury

MiddLab

A MiddLab Project

Curricular Connections: Tamar Rogoff Performance Projects

Learn more about Neuroscience and the Arts at Middlebury College.

The interface between science and art is the core of this residency. Innovative choreographer and current Guggenheim Fellow Tamar Rogoff, and actor/dancer Gregg Mozgala share their findings from two years of daily work expanding the limitations and possibilities of cerebral palsy through dance. Three days of free classes and discussions culminate in the public, ticketed performance of Diagnosis of a Faun on October 29 and 30.

Video top right: CBS Sunday Morning story, original broadcast December 2009

Video bottom right: Audience members leaving the Friday night, October 29th performance were asked “If you could describe Diagnosis of a Faun in one word, what would it be?”  Responses were as varied as they were enlightening.

People

Related Links

Downloads

Connections

This project is included in these themes:
MiddTags

3 Responses to “Curricular Connections: Tamar Rogoff Performance Projects”

1. Shannon Bohler-Small says:

Just took the master class–amazing. The focus on one small part of the body moving, pulsing, having relationships to other parts, the landscape of the room, a partner. So interesting and really energizing. Students looked amazing as well–couldn’t keep my eyes off them as they moved across the floor. Learned Tamar studied Indian dance for 3 years in India after going to the High School of the Performing Arts in NYC and the Martha Graham School. I think those experiences really inform the work now with Gregg. Can’t wait for the lunch today and shows this weekend!

2. I was impressed at both lunchtime lec/dems how articulately Tamar and Gregg could speak about what they’ve learned about the human body, neuroplasticity, anatomy, and cerebral palsy through their unique collaboration. I have made a point of not peeking in on the dress rehearsals this week, so I can truly experience what I am sure will be a breathtaking performance!!

3. Cat Miller says:

Wow! How great for me to meet the choreographer I want to reference for my dance senior work! I love anatomy-based choreography and the idea of a body script. Although Right after the master I was really excited about giving it a shot in my solo, however it is a lot harder to implement now that the majority of it is set.

I’m so glad that I got to here Gregg and Tamar talk about their work and experience together and to hear their answers to questions at the lec-demos. I think it’s great that they talked to the neuroscience and bio departments, however I wish they had owned their knowledge and their amazing work a little bit more, after all they have done something that no one else has done for people with CP. I am also extremely glad that Gregg is beginning to share what he has learned about his work with Tamar to others with CP. I really hope that a research neuroscientist will see how valuable their work is and be able to implement a study testing this anatomy-awareness method in order to legitimize it in the scientific world.

Wow #2! The performance was great! I loved the mix of humor, seriousness, romance and sexuality. After discussing the piece in class, we came to the conclusion that Tamar really draws in the audience with the narrative, and the performers keep the audience with their investment in their characters and movement. The balance of emotional content, weaving of the two worlds, performances made it an accessible show that was a great way to bring in people who are not accustomed to watching dance. Indeed, it was an enjoyable performance.